Arakai Estate Spring Flush
This premium black tea is from the prized first flush of Spring growth. This exceptional whole leaf black tea has a unique flavour and aroma with a lasting sweetness on the palate.
Arakai Estate tea is grown at 580m elevation in the rich volcanic soil and sub-tropical climate of the Bellthorpe Range, west of the Sunshine Coast, QLD. Family owned and operated, the tea is farmed holistically and the leaves are processed on-site influenced by the Taiwanese style.
Expect a highly aromatic leaf, with complex flavours of smooth honey and sweet fruits.
If you like Keemun Mao Feng, you are sure to love this beautiful Australian Grown tea!
Origin: Bellthorpe, Queensland, Australia
Aroma: sweet, fruit, fresh wood
Taste: sweet, smooth, honey, fruits, wood, spice
Pairings: chocolate, semi hard/hard cheese, bread
Leaf: 3 grams (1.5 tsp)
Time: 2-3 mins or start with 30sec and add 30sec for each subsequent infusion
Our Spring Flush Green & Spring Flush Black teas come from the first harvest in Spring after a Winter dormancy. This first Spring harvest is the prime cut of tea, prized around the world for the unique qualities of flavour, aroma and cup smell. All of which you will find in Arakai Estate's Spring Flush tea, as well as a long, lingering sweetness in the mouth.
We only get one shot at this harvest and we put everything into ensuring a uniform plantation and clean harvest. Many a late night is spent in the processing factory gently coaxing the finest qualities from the leaf. It can take up to three days from harvest to the final dry - always tasting, smelling and sorting to ensure only the best leaves make it through the process.
ESTATE STATISTICS & INFORMATION
- Six different Japanese small-leaf varieties of Camellia sinensis var. sinensis :
- Smaller numbers of Meirokyu, Yutakamidori, Fushin & Okumidori.
- Plantation size is 1 hectare, with over 12,000 plants and just over 5km of tea hedges. We harvest every 4 - 5 weeks from September to April.
- All plant nutrition is from a mix of certified & non-certified organic inputs. This includes microbial innoculants to reduce Nitrogen requirements to keep our tea full of natural flavour instead of synthetic additives.
- There are no pesticides or fungicides used on our farm. Herbicides are occasionally used in weed management when necessary but our teas are guaranteed spray-free and residue-free.
- Our plantation is pruned & harvested using our own creation - the mighty bike harvester. It is a human-powered, low-impact machine that cuts following the contours of the land with remarkable accuracy and reliability.
- All of our teas are guaranteed to be grown & processed on-farm at Arakai Estate in Bellthorpe, QLD. We don't, and won't, import tea from overseas to mix with our products.