Who doesn't love lemon in a cake? Lemon is such a refreshing flavour in dessert that it almost makes it feel less heavy (and less naughty). The sweet tang of the lemon in this Lemon Delicious recipe is beautifully offset by the addition of heavy pouring cream. We suggest enjoying this beautiful dessert while still warm from the oven (as we did).
Tea is by far the best beverage to enjoy with sweet foods; and this time we decided to keep things simple by pairing like with like. In other words, citrus with citrus.
Earl Grey, the black tea which is traditionally scented with oil of bergamot, is highly aromatic, medium in strength and with slight astringency, making it perfect alongside sweets. Earl Grey may be enjoyed with or without milk and should be sipped between bites to refresh the palate.
Our Earl Grey and Lemon Delicious pairing is best served in the quiet of the day, with a book.
70 g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
185 g sugar
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
3 eggs, separated
30 g SR flour
185 ml milk
80 ml lemon juice
icing sugar, to dust
double heavy cream, to serve
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Use a small amount of melted butter to grease a 1.25 litre baking dish (ovenproof ceramic is best).
2. Using an electric beater, beat the butter, sugar and lemon zest in a glass bowl until light and creamy.
3. Gradually ad the egg yolks, beating well after each addition.
4. Fold in the flour and milk alternately to make a smooth but runny batter. Stir in the lemon juice.
5. Whisk the egg whites in a dry bowl until firm peaks form, and with a large metal spoon, fold a third of the whites into the batter. Gently fold the remaining egg whites, being careful not to overmix.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared dish and place into a large roasting tin. Pour enough hot water into the tin (not the mixture!) to come one-third of the way up the side of the dish.
7. Bake for 55 minutes, or until the top of the pudding is golden, risen and firm to the touch. *Keep an eye on the pudding as it cooks- as you can see, we may have left ours in a little long (it was still delicious!).
8. Leave for 5 minutes before serving. This is a good time to begin preparing your tea (see below). Dust with icing sugar and serve with the heavy cream.
PREPARING THE EARL GREY TEA
1. Warm your teapot by pouring freshly boiled water into it and let sit for 1 minute. Discard.
2. Using a metric teaspoon, measure 1 heaped teaspoon (per person) into your favourite teapot.
3. Pour around 250 ml or 1 cup of freshly boiled water (per person) into the teapot. Let the tea leaves infuse for 3-4 minutes, depending on your desired level of strength.
4. Strain the tea into your teacups or mugs.
5. Take your Lemon Delicious, your cup of tea and your current book to the couch. Sip and enjoy!
A$6.00 - A$24.95
Why we want to share this tea with you
Our Earl Grey tea is uplifting and fresh, Black tea leaves from the cool misty tea gardens of Sri Lanka have been delicately scented with oil of bergamot creating a medium bodied and wonderfully fragrant tea.
Brew for a shorter amount of time and add a slice of lemon for a light and refreshing tea, or brew longer and add milk for a robust cup. Earl Grey can be paried beautifully with white fish or citrus desserts.